·:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:·

Unlock the door to enter into an unknown and magical world!
Here it will be that you find what it is you've been searching for... Peace, calm, relaxation, reflection...

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Garden Excursion Update

Well, it seems my little terrariums will have to be put on hold for a little while.
I'm not feeling quite well enough to run three shops, as just running the jewelry one at this time has been more than enough to try and concentrate on. Don't worry- as soon as I'm feeling better and up and going again- I'll be managing all of them with no problems!

In the meantime, I didn't want to neglect this blog.
I do still fully intend to do my terrariums- it's just been delayed a while. So- I'll start giving some gardening advice and pictures to share with you of what Mom currently has growing in her garden... And the succulents I've summarily started collecting like crazy!

The last post featured some of the early bloomers in the garden. Since then, there's been a lot of weeds that have popped up (and must be weeded out soon! Wish I could help, but I can't yet...) and ferns are growing like crazy. Seriously- ferns are beautiful- but completely invasive. If you must plant them somewhere, make sure it's a place you don't mind them spreading everywhere and creating literally a carpet of green. It does, however, create an ideal canopy for cats to hide under and play with you.

I digress.

There are some new flowers in bloom that are outside currently. It's amazing what flowers pop up from the earth given a little time, rain, and sun-shiny days! I can't wait until the garden is in full swing- and I do have a plan to add a little something special to it for Mom too!

First up was something very special I found when I threw open my bedroom window this morning when I realized it was absolutely gorgeous outside. A nice breeze came through, and I looked out into the forest. I spotted some little pink flowers. Could it be? Already? I was excited!

Now, brief synopsis: I have a bad back injury, and I can't move quickly. I'm working on getting it fixed, but it's just going to take time. They think I have a badly torn ligament on the right side of my spine, from the top of my lumbar region down to my bum. Hurt? YES. Well, I got up, semi-dressed (I'm still wearing my PJ pants... Didn't want to take off Hello Kitty today!) and waited for my medicine to kick in before wandering outside with my camera. I was anxious. It takes about 2o min for the medicines to kick in and give me some relief. I walked almost to the garden, and into the woods we have to find my little beauties. And look what I found:



While common here in the North East, you do have to look for them. What are they? We call them Lady Slippers, but their Latin term is Cypripedium Acaule. They don't always grow in the same spot each year- but ever since I was a little girl I remember being able to find them somewhere, and at times in multiple spots, on our property here.





Imagine my delight when I found these 5- and a 6th just a few more feet away! These are considered Orchids- and they are illegal to be picked. At least that's what I've been told. It's also very difficult to "transplant" these little flowers- as they like to sprout where they take hold. If moved, they die very quickly.



The ones in my yard are mostly a vibrant pink, and veined as you can see. There is one among the group of 5 that's a paler pink- I think it might actually be a pale one when it comes closer to maturity. It's smaller than the rest, and the "slipper" part of the flower isn't fully developed. I'll have to wander back out in a day or two to see how it progresses! And perhaps, I'll go traipsing through the front part of my yard to see if there are any more to be found.



Aren't they just beautiful?!



Ok, now for the rest of the garden. The Little Guardian is finally settled in, still a bit dirty from a rainstorm the other day, but he permitted me to get some shots of the flowers that are sprouting up from the garden itself he guards. The first would be one of my favorites:

Bleeding Heart, otherwise known as Dicentra. There are many different varieties that can be found, but I have the white hearts and the wild pink ones. I had a beautiful pink one that was my grandmother's that was 50+ years old- but I don't know what happened to her. I'm anxiously awaiting any sign that she may have survived the move from CT to NH, but I haven't seen anything for the past year. I'll have to get another one in her memory- since she always used to let me sit on the porch step and touch the little pink and white hearts. These white ones are beautiful- full, and so bright! It's amazing a flower could have shapes the way they do sometimes- and the curl up at the bottom of the heart is just the best feature of the flower I think!



As you can see, there's a definite difference in the formation of the White Bleeding Heart and the Wild Pink ones. The wild ones are smaller and more compact, and there are more per stem that bloom. They're not in full bloom just yet- but I'll give them a day or two and go back to check and see how they're doing.



A little bit of a close up of the wild Bleeding Hearts. These really do flourish well in gardens- after they've bloomed, the greenery of the bush itself makes a nice backdrop for other flowers that may be planted in your garden. Or just a good green filler. Whatever you desire!



And last, but not least.... Another one of my favorites.
Pansies! Typically I really enjoy the dark purple/violet, blue, and yellow ones... But these are absolutely charming and just too sweet. I wonder, though, who chewed a bit of their flower buds off. I'll be out searching for that culprit soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails